Sustainable Highland Park received a $10,000 Grant to reduce plastic bag usage in the borough. Tonight they are featuring the film Bag It and a discussion after the film. Americans use 60,000 plastic bags every five minutes, disposable bags that they throw away without much thought. But where is “away?” Where do the bags and other plastics end up, and at what cost to the environment, marine life and human health? We will be doing education and outreach to businesses, consumers, students and the faith community over the next year.
Some more facts about plastic bag usage:
• 5 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year (http://www.theworldcounts.com/counters/waste_pollution_facts/plastic_bags_used_per_year)
• One bag is used on average for 20 minutes before it is disposed of
• It takes about 1,000 years for a plastic bag to decompose
• Only about 1% of plastic bags are recycled
• 100 million barrels of oil are used each year to produce plastic bags worldwide
• Most plastic bags end up in waterways, landfills and littering our landscapes
• More than 1 million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed yearly by ocean debris
Please join with Sustainable Highland Park in our efforts to raise awareness to the harmful effects of plastic bags and to reduce the use of plastic bags in our town.